The Village of Twin Valley was originally settled in the area we know today as Heiberg Park. In 1874 S. P. Olsen (also known as Peter Olsen Skjaeggerud) moved into the valley, finding a plot of land along the Northern Pacific Railway, where the Wild Rice River and Mashaug Creek meet. This location, he declared a great location for a flour mill, and so over the course of a year, with the help of other local settlers, a flour mill was built.This business
In 1882, J.F. Heiberg, originally from Norway, moved into the village and purchased the mill from Olsen. By the end of 1882 Heiberg had completely erected a new Mill. He continued to make improvements to the mill over the years making it one of
In 1886, due to the slope of the land in the valley, the railroad moved their depot south onto a flat plat of land, where stopping was easier. Due to the long travel distance from the settlement for supplies, many of the settlers followed the railroad and took the name ‘Twin Valley’ with them. The old town site eventually became known simply as ‘Heiberg’.